Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Soups On!

So far this winter has been COLD! Brrr! Us Southerners are not thick-skinned enough for this harsh climate! Even our two dogs can't relieve themselves quick enough to get back inside! Luckily, we are expecting a warmer climate soon. Which brings me to this weeks post: Soups! I love soup in the winter time. It just makes you all warm and toasty on the inside! I really enjoy eating a nice bowl of hearty soup and crackers (or a sandwich) in our cozy chair beside the fireplace. Thanks, Melanie for moving it there! I thought I would share two edible indulgenses I made this past week. So get out your dutch ovens or broiler pots and get ready to warm your insides!
My first soup is an reliable companion for a panini or turkey club.

Rosemary Tomato Soup
food 2010 003

I have to take this opportunity to tell you about the bowl. Ok, I know it's cute, but that is not what I want you to notice. This is a rice bowl. The reason I want to highlight this bowl is because it is a perfect portion size for just about anything from cereals, ice cream, soup, oatmeal, etc. I know a lot of us are trying to watch our diets as part of our New Year's resolution, and what we eat out of and off of makes all the difference. It really is easy to trick the mind!


I chose to use rosemary instead of basil, but you can subsitute whatever herb best suites your taste buds.

Ingredients:

1 tbs. fresh chopped Rosemary
3-4 tomatoes, roasted in the oven for 20-25 min.
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce ( I like the type with basil, garlic & oregano)
1 can tomato paste
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
freshly grated parmesan cheese
Chitmas 2009 067

In a food processor, or blender, puree the roasted tomatoes and rosemary. Take a dutch oven or broiler and over medium heat add the next 5 ingredients. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 15-20 minutes. Ladle into individual bowls and top with grated parmesan. (I am partial to true parmesan. There should be a stamp on the outer rind of the wedge. Real parmesan is just so much fuller of flavor than the pre-shredded kind. It also adds a "nuttiness" to the soup). I hope you enjoy


Baked-Potato Soup

food 2010 005

Ingredients

3 large baking potatoes
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
6 c. reduced-fat milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (no,you don't have to have the good stuff)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 c. reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 c. chopped green onions, divided
6 slices cooked bacon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pierce potatoes with a fork, wrap in tin-foil and bake for 1 hr. or until tender. Cool. Mash potatoes with skins on. (If you do not like the skins then peel it off- I'm too lazy!)

Place flour in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk constantly until there are NO lumps. Cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add potatoes, 3/4 c. of the cheese, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Stir just until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and 1/2 c. of the onions. Cook over low heat about 10 minutes or until throughly heated through. Do not boil. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with leftover cheese and onions, adding the cooked bacon crumbled on top.
* I got this recipe from Cooking Light at myrecipes.com and tweaked it a little. It has become my new favorite potato soup! Tip: Do not leave the dutch oven while the milk is heating, you will need to stir continually to avoid scorching.

3 comments:

Jennifer Werneth said...

oh, how i love soup! i've made your tomato (w/basil), but now i have to make the potato. hold me to it! i need to cook every now and then!

Melanie said...

The soups look delish, I wish you would have me over to the test kitchen some time. I am still waiting patiently for the fried green tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! This is great! Nik made it tonight and we devoured it! Can't wait for J.R. to come home and try it. Will make him the tomato basil! This is a five star recipe!!!!

Post a Comment