Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back- On- Track Dinner

If most of you are like me, you always start the new year with the intention of eating better. Maybe this particular phenomenon that sweeps fervently across our country is just embedded into our subconscious, "Eat healthier, lose weight, ignore all of the bad for you foods". I can't speak for the rest of you, but as for myself, well let's just say I have tried ALL types of diets. I have even tried one that has you to eat flaxseed oil on nothing but a bed of greens. Let me be the first and last to inform you, it SUCKED! There was nothing good about that diet! In case you have never tried flaxseed oil, allow me to spare your taste buds,(and stomach), don't try it, gross. Yes you will lose weight, because you are going to starve to death!!
Maybe I am just a food-snob, at least that is what my friends say. I just have a hunkering for tasty food. But, I, like most of America have vowed to eat healthier( at least for a few weeks). I discovered this wonderful little book by Bethenny Frankel. She is one of the women from The Real Housewives of New York. I don't watch the show, but her new recipe book rocks! The Skinnygirl Dish. It has some great recipes and she offers alternative subsitutions in case you may not have an ingrediant or do not like one. I took one of the chicken recipes and added a salad and brown rice. It was fabulous! My kids ate most everything on their plate. Which is an accomplishment in its own! I have included my menu below and hope you will try it. Afterall, who knows how long before its back to pasta and pizza!

food 2010 008


This is the Spiced Rubbed Chicken with Mustard-Green Onion Sauce:

3-4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts
Sea Salt
Spice Rub:

1 tsp. each of paprika, chili powder, cumin, ground mustard, white (or regular) pepper and tyme.

*Preheat grill, or oven. (I cooked on the grill) Rinse and dry the chicken breasts. Rub Spice Rub onto the chicken. Grill til desired doneness.

Cook Brown Rice according to package directions.

Mustard-Green Onion Sauce:

1/4 c. white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. honey or agave nectar
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
s&p to taste
1/4 c. finely chopped green onions

*Mix all ingredients together

* Spoon the brown rice onto a plate and place the chicken on top. Top with the mustard sauce. YUM-MY!


Toasted Pecan, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad

This is soooo good and good for you too! You can have seconds without feeling guilty!

food 2010 006

Ingredients:

1/2 c. toasted chopped pecans
1/4 dried cherries
1 chopped pear
Mixed greens (raddicio, arugula, etc..)
Crumbled goat cheese
Vinegrette of you choice ( I like a sun-dried tomato)

Mix ingredients in bowl an top with vinegrette.

I hope you enjoy, I did!

1 comments:

Jennifer Werneth said...

yeah, i won't be trying the flaxseed oil thing. i still remember the look on your face when you tried to swallow that stuff! i have tried the pear, goat cheese salad and give it an emphatic two-thumbs up. i'll have to try the chicken next!

Post a Comment