Thursday, January 7, 2010

All about the breakfast!

I don't know how you are, but I am NOT a morning person. I envy the one who can awake feeling all bright eyed and bushy tailed! This would be my husband. He is such a morning person that is makes me all the moodier when I awake. I need a good cup, or two, of coffee just to function. Breakfast is the last thing I care to make, but alas, the kids have to eat before school! I must confess, most mornings it is just scrambled eggs and bacon, but from time to time I will whip up a little something extra. This french toast casserole, I actually made for New Year's breakfast, the kids liked it so much I have had to make it a few times since. It is simple,time efficient,great and filling. A little something "extra" to kick off your day! Enjoy!

2010 004


Baked French Toast Casserole

10 slices whole grain french bread (or other whole grain bread)
4-6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
fresh or frozen mixed berries ( I used frozen)
sour cream
maple syrup
dash of cinnamon

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take a 9 x 13 baking dish and coat it with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the sugar onto the bottom of the dish. Pour berries over top, spreading them out over the entirety of the dish. Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Dip bread slices into bowl until throughly saturated. Places slices of bread over the berries and sprinkle with remaining sugar.Bake in over for 20-30 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and crisp on top. Spoon desired amount onto plates and dallop with the sour cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with syrup. Enjoy!

I adapted this recipe from Southern Living, but added a few extras to give it my own touch, you can do the same. This is perfect for a brunch or comfort meal.

1 comments:

Busy Mom said...

I have a recipe similar to this one but mine sits over night. It is soooooo yummy!! After I get back on track with the eating habits I may need to treat the family! thanks for the reminder!!

Post a Comment