Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Healthy Summer Treats

It has been awhile, I know. I wish I could say I have been on some fabulous exotic vacation, but I haven't. I have just been taking some time off from blogging as well as other trivialties in my life. Sometimes I think we need to disconnect to reconnect. As usual I allowed too many commitments to overrule my life and sadly it affected not just me but my family as well. I often think of women who are wives, moms, caregives, etc....who go non-stop from one project to another and then are able to go home and assume a whole other role! Seriously, I don't know how they do it!
So, I have pledged this summer to relax, find peace, patience and rest during the lazy days of Summer. I will keep my commitments at a minimum if so, none at all and enjoy my boys and husband. I will soak up God's blessed sunshine and appreciate all the bountiful offerings He has provided me within this world. I will start my day with His word, seeking solitude and guidance within scriptual verses. And most importantly, I will kiss my husband and children each and everyday and tell them how much I love them, trying not to take them for granted.
I think it is good to spritually cleanse the body and mind, and I would like to believe that I will emerge a more rested and more Christ-like individual, appreciating my life from a whole new perspective. We will see...

I have been getting my fingers a little sticky in the kitchen lately. I recently have had a craving for homemade ice creams, yogurts and sorbets. My childhood is flooded with memories of anxiously awaiting the churning ice cream on the back porch of my grandmother's during the blistering heat of Summer. She had the crank kind and would often venture out bak , craqnk it a few times and the return inside. This action was repeated til the ice cream was ready. So while I wait for the replacement mixing arm of my more advanced ice cream maker to be delivered, I have made some healthy sorbets in our food processor. I thought I would share a couple of the recipes with you all. They are simple and since produce is at it's best, you should take advantage of your local farmer's market, or grocer, and use fresh fruits; frozen ones work just as well and I did use some that would be more costly if purchased fresh.



A Better-for-You Chunky Monkey:

1-2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tbsp. Honey
2 tbsp. Water
2 tbsp. Walnuts
3 tbsp. coarsley chopped semi-sweet chocolate

* Place bananas on a freezer paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for 1-
1 1/2 hours. After bananas have frozen, in a food processor, combine all other ingredients. Blend in processor til mixture becomes creamy. You may have to add extra water. There will be lumps from the walnuts and chocolate. Eat and enjoy!
* Can be froze in refrigerator for up to three four days.






Peach-Raspberry Sorbet

3-4 peaches, washed and sliced
1/2-1 cup raspberries
2 tabsp. Honey
1/2 squeezed lemon
Grated rind from lemon, a microplane works wonders
1/4 c. water

*Freeze peach slices on a freezer lined baking sheet for 30-45 minutes. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and mix til creamy and smooth. Freeze any leftovers up to one week. This treat is less than 100 calories and SO refreshing on a hot summer day!

There are many different variations you could institute. Have fun making your own concoctions!

1 comments:

Artistta said...

I have often felt like you and have been taking a break from my own blog for several months (except the occasional post) for the exact same reasons. I really want to break free from the feeling that I must do it all. I believe it's just one of Satan's tactics to pull us away from our God in Heaven and from our family. Good for you for recognizing you needed a break and taking it!

Post a Comment