Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tiger Eye Salsa

"Let the good times roll!" Isn't that what they say in the midst of revelry and fun? Well, that is exactly the way I feel during college football season. I simply love it! Being blessed to be born a female, I often get quizzical looks from my fellow gender at the zest I have for this physical sport. That's ok. I am comfortable in this atmosphere. I get the game, which I believe attributes to my liking of it.

Today's football is physical, analytical, emotional and if you look under the surface, inspiring. Each of these players has their own story, which I think can add to the love of the game. When you hear or read about their story, it allows you to become caught up in the sport all the more.

I think it is safe to say, I really like this game! And what goes along with football? Why, my true passion, FOOD! Now, I really don't need an excuse to cook or prepare little delicacies, but hey, I'll take one!

Tailgating has become an art of it's own. Men and women alike silently compete to see who has the best fare.( My husband and I are just two of those people.) So what do you do if you are "grub challenged"? Well, that is why I am here! I'm going to be offering you some great tailgating recipes over the next few post in hopes at your next gathering you will prevail as "Top Tailgater".

This is my obsolute favorite salsa to make. I have made many versions and called it many different names, all through trial and error. I have finally settled on just one, my TIGER EYE SALSA. Easy to make and great to eat. It gets its name because our house is an Auburn home. We love our Auburn Tigers! Through the good and the bad, that is what being a fan is all about. Here is the recipe and what you will need:


003

Tiger Eye Salsa
(You may want to double if serving a big crowd)

1 can black-eyed peas , rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernal corn, rinsed and drained
4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small red onion,peeled and diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 limes, juiced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped finely
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder

Bag of tortilla chips

*In a bowl mix together the vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, pepper, salt, chili and garlic powder. You may need to add more salt or pepper depending on your taste preference. Allow to sit and the flavors to marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

In a seperate bowl, mix together the black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and garlic cloves.

Pour the lime marinade on top. Refrigerate 2-3 hrs. for full flavor, or you if you can't wait, dig in! If serving a large crowd, you mights want to fill tortilla scoops with the salsa to make it go further, otherwise serve in a bowl along with tortilla chips of your choice.

Variation: Add 1 tbsp. tequila to the marinade for a fiesta kick!



* This recipe is an original by me and is not to be reprinted or reproduced in any form without my permission.

0 comments:

Post a Comment