Monday, October 4, 2010

Mission: Kid-Friendly Snack

I can only speak for my family, but I have noticed a repetitive pattern when the kids come from school. Trying to appease their bottomless pit bellies, they grab the quickest snack they can find; which is usually the bag of chips or pre-packaged cookies. Well, enough is enough I say! As if I don't have plenty already on my plate, I realized it is up to me to be the food saver. I can choose to show them good food choices or I can continue to allow them to spiral down the path of substantial fat and calories laced with high sugars! This requires a little more work and prep on my part, not something I WANT to have to do, but something I NEED to do. (Remember the whole "want" versus "need" speech your parents gave you when you were a kid?) My children's health and eating lifestyle are based on what they see and have influenced upon them. Not to mention, it helps me in the long run too. No more mindless snacking of their unfinished foods.

037
Today's mission: to get more fruit and dairy into their diet and meet their sweet-tooth satisfaction. I baked up some cinnamon tortillas, sliced some strawberries and made a dip to go with it. The boys shoved all of it into their pie holes so fast I was barely able to sneak a few for myself! I think we can suffuse it was a successful mission! Here are the "how-to's":

Cinnamon Tortilla Chips w/ Fruit Dip and Berries

For the Chips:
6 round Flour Tortillas, cut into 8 segments (like a pizza)
1/4 c. Sugar
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
Spray butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Spray chips with spray butter and sprinkle over chips. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until chips are golden brown.

For the Dip:

1/2 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 c. Low-fat Sour Cream
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Chill till ready to serve.

Slice some strawberries, raspberries, bluberries, bananas, kiwi or any other fruit you would like. These would also work to serve as Fruit Nachos.
This can be a great snack to send to school!

1 comments:

LTM said...

that looks so amazing! I've got to try that cinnamon tortillas--and the strawberries and dip! LOL--but you know. Cinnamon + sugar = oh yeah~ ;p

Post a Comment