Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lost in the Summer!

Ok, I admit it, I have been on a blogging hiatus! I have become enraptured by the Summer's temptations and neglections! Sleeping in late, lazing the days away, and enjoying the lack of schedule. Quite honestly, it's been blissful! I apologize for leaving you followers out on a limb. I just couldn't quite bring myself to any responsibility, (other than my kids)! Now, feeling a little convicted, I am back! I have a great party to feature that we gave my husband this past weekend. His birthday is July 3rd, so I think it is fair to say he is lucky to have fireworks for his celebrations. I am jealous. I admit it. His birthday was, in my opinion, the perfect manly birthday. Since the guys planned to play golf during the day and then regroup out our house for an evening cookout, I carried the golf theme to our house for decorations.

The day started with breakfast for the guys at the golf club house. Then they played eighteen holes of golf. I snuck in a few little surprises for the players for their game. I purchased prizes for the number of golfers, and came up with categories for awards. This was enjoyed by all the men and a great way to add a little fun and humor, as if they really needed it!
If you would like to do this, here are some category suggestions:
Most Mulligan Sales (whoever buys the most drinks)
Closest to the hole
Best Chip-in
Sand Trap King
Worst Score
Best Score


For the party, which I slaved away on ALL day while he was having a great time, I purchased a large bag of recycled golf balls, reindeer moss, wooden letter "M", sheet moss, and I borrowed some of my hubby's tees. Oh, I also purchased some faux grass in square retangles, which I then cut down to look like newly mowed grass. Granted, I must admit, this does not look like some of those parties you see on other blogs, but then again, I am on a budget and the focus was all about the hubby enjoying his day! I also will share with you, over the next few blogs, some of the dishes that were served. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING as good as a B-BQ spread!


Summer 2010 014
This was the main food table. My MIL was kind enough to pick some of her hydreangas for me. Aren't they HUGE?! I added some colored sand and golf balls to glass cylinder vases, purchased a clear picture box (took off the back) and filled it with sheet moss, glued a tee and golf ball- viola!

Summer 2010 023
This is one of the outdoor tables, (just in case you couldn't tell- give me a break, its still morning!). I used some lanterns I already had, and layered the bottom with golf balls then added a candle. I think, sometimes, that linen napkins can be used for more than wiping your mouth. Here it adds a layer of fabric and a good contrast to the burlap, I love texture!

Summer 2010 022
This is the other table; I think the golf ball is wandering off the green!

Summer 2010 025
This is the appetizer bar. The tiny dish you see are these stuffed jalapeno peppers, which a friend brought. I think they last all of about 10 minutes! No joke! I'll have to pass this recipe along, it is too good not to share.

001
The wreath that greeted guests as they arrived.



Summer 2010 041
Here is the birthday boy blowing out his candles. I am sure when he sees I've posted this I will get into trouble! His mother made his cake. It was a Mississippi Mud Cake, and soooo delicious!

The night ended with a firework show courtesy of a friend who brought the "works"! The kids really enjoyed it and cheered the guys on. They had a great viewing atop the fort!

Summer 2010 049

Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
This is courtesy of my friend, Dawn. You may want to triple this recipe, it goes fast!

1 cup ground pork sausage
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 lb. fresh jalapenos, seeded and halved lengthwise

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place sausage in a skillet over medium heat, and cook till done and browned. Drain grease. In a bowl, mix together sausage, cream cheese and parmesan. Spoon 1 tbsp. of the mixture into each jalapeno half. Arrange stuffed peppers onto a baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes until bubbly and light brown.

To lighten the load: substitue turkey ground sausage for pork and reduced-fat cream cheese for regular.

Did I mention how ridiculously easy this is?!

3 comments:

Megan @ Foodalution said...

ooooo... I love the new music addition... maybe not new, but I do have the volume on today and am loving the tunes... and good job on the golf theme! Love it!!

LTM said...

gorgeous pix!!! I've missed you, but it's great that you're blissing out. :o) Those hydrangeas are awesome~ good stuff!

Pam said...

What a great fun party! The hydrangeas are gorgeous and I wish mine would get busy and have more blooms! Great blog!

Post a Comment