Monday, April 19, 2010

I Smell Something.....

Ooh, how I love this time of year. There is definatly a change in the atmosphere. Us Southerners are creeping out of our man caves and into the most perfect, balmy weather! I truly relish this time of year, and rightly so; it doesn't last long. We have such a short Spring season, before you know it, Summer has made its untimely entrance. Well, with the warm weather comes the firing up of the grill, a.k.a. "the egg". We still use our grill throughout the fall and winter, but once warmer weather rolls around we burn that sucker up! (No pun intended). I have "food moods". This past week I was in the mood for burgers. My kids: Macaroni and cheese. My husband: whatever I was kind enough to cook him! He's so easy going and rarely ever complains about what I cook, even if he is not in the mood for it. Got to love a man like that! Well, since I am trying, (note the key word here:"trying"), to eat healthier, I decided that I would make a tasty, but healthy burger and a healthier version of macaroni. Well, it saddens me to admit, but the macaroni recipe I found on the foodnetwork's website. So, gosh-darn-it, I can't take credit for it! The burger however, I can! Remember what I always say, you can expermiment with your own ingredients and make it your signature burger, This is mine:




beach 2010 001




Smoked Gouda Burgers with Carmelized Onions


For the patties:

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. worchestershire
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard

* Mix together all ingredients. Make nice thick, rounded patties. Cook over heated grill about 6-8 minutes per side. Tip: Don't flip the burgers more than once, this will cause uneven cooking. Also, don't press out the juices once you turn them, that is good stuff baby!

* The last couple of minutes remaining for the burgers to cook, add a sliced of smoked gouda and the carmelized onions. Serve on your choice of bun. I chose whole wheat biscuits. Yes, you read that right, biscuits. Don't knock it till you try it! I also spread a spicy mayo on the biscuits, just to compliment the smoked flavor.

Carmelized Onions

1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. REAL butter
1 tsp. sugar

* Heat a skillet over med-high heat. Place butter in skillet and allow to melt. Add onions and sugar. Cook until onions turn a carmel brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment